Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Project & Posscon

Much of the past few days has surrounded our group project and details of the Posscon convention.  After another weekend spend re-installing Ubuntu and Sugar Labs yet another time, I have come to the realization that "Browse" is unattainable.  I created a snapshot in my VB before I started experimenting with their suggestions only to find that their modifications (not only wouldn't get browse to work, but also) would not allow my activities to open in Sugar Lab as before.  So I roll back my changes at my snapshot only to discover that my activities still would not open.  No matter what I tried, nothing worked and I was forced to start over yet again.  So after a few expletives I vowed to forget about "browse."  This meant that our project for the remainder of the semester cannot deal with that cursed activity, so we all started looking at different activities within Sugar Labs.  I know that several of us like "Lemonade Stand" as it offers some possibilities to work on, and there are also runners up that I like as well "Poll 27," and "Visual Match 28" to name a few.  We'll be meeting later on to nail down a particular activity.

With that done I started focusing on which speakers that I'd like to ask some questions...and then I ran into trouble.  I'll have to work Wednesday and Thursday, so the only day that I can attend is on Friday...the problem is, that they have 8 workshops listed for that day but they have not listed who the speakers will be for that day.  I did see 1 workshop that I'm particularly interested in: "Starting a Business on the Cheap Using Open Source" and another that might be interesting to me: "OpenOffice."  I did contact them about the missing info and will be waiting for their reply.  As for the 3rd possible person (if the two speakers in my workshops aren't available) I'd like to chat with, I was thinking that Janet Claggett might be my 1st choice because she works in the IT field--what I'm most interested in.  Mel Chua would also be interesting because of her hacking abilities and that is interesting to me as well.  Perhaps the last person on my list would be Dr. David Wheeler because of his software security expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment