Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Continuing last post

Well I thought that I would sit down today and continue with the assignment from where I left off last.  So I go through and read Ubuntu's triage page and thought I would give this part of the assignment a try.  So first I went to set up an account with Ubuntu and waited a while for an approval.  What I didn't realize was how long it would take to receive my 6-digit confirmation code to actually submit anything (over 2hrs later and still no response) unlike the speedy response from the Sugar Labs bugs account.  While I waited, I went to their untriaged bug page to get a feel for what they had.

Ok...this was no where as clean as Sugar lab's page.  To start with, there were 23,600+ untriaged bugs--way more than Sugar Labs.  The next thing that struck me was that there were some with 3 word summaries (too little) and whole paragraphs (some of these you could feel the writer's emotions--and my little experience with ubuntu has cause me to empathize with them), but the format that the board has keeps things in an orderly fashion.  They must be assigned a ticket number automatically (makes it easier to come back to) and all those I looked at had use cases, platforms used, dependencies installed (and in some cases screenshots) all of which are very useful!  I even found one that related to a problem that I had...ticket#714688 I needed that Evolution plug-in for my phone to sync with Evolution, but when I couldn't get it to work I gave up & continued to sync with windows.

Without having my access code, there wasn't much that the system would allow me to do other than look through them--even marking one as a duplicate required a login.  So I picked a few and quickly did in notepad what I would  have done on their forms (well as best as I could have) just to get a feel for it.  Maybe sometime later today they'll actually send me an access code...of course with my feelings on ubuntu maybe they shouldn't :)

No comments:

Post a Comment