Monday, January 31, 2011

Reasons for me to hate Ubuntu

So, I get settled in to download and build the source code for our new project and wouldn't you know it Ubuntu crashes.  It was so bad that I couldn't even boot into the Linux based system.  So, I do a clean install--knowing it'll wipe out my work from last semester and guess what?  Yep, the install fails!  So, I wiped it clean and went a different route...I'd heard of installing OS's in a virtual box so I figured it was my time to invest in learning that.  I failed the first time because the virtual box didn't like the 64-bit Ubuntu exe that I downloaded (dumb because I have a 64 bit box...who knows?) so I try again by downloading the 32 bit version and it installed without a hitch.  I spent about another hour doing the updates and making a few changes.  Once I got back to the project at hand (our source code) I come across some interesting information...it is only supported on version 9.1  (which as you can probably guess by now, what I installed was their latest 10.1)  I started to install 9.1 virtually as well, then I read further...even 9.1 won't allow the emulator to work because of a broken security configuration.  After muttering a few "inconsiderate" words to my project I set out to see what it is actually supposed to run on.  The best option appeared to be Debian, so off I go again downloading and installing yet another OS today.

Since we ran into issues with rapidSMS, my group and I have chosen to tackle a different problem...this time on an area of Sugar Labs that will not be similar with the other two groups working on it.  Since it is such a large project with many different flavors to look into, we're still in the process of narrowing down what fits us best.  So, I did join this version of their IRC chat, because it doesn't require additional software to be installed (which will allow me to access it at work).  I joined one of the mailing lists (bugs) because I thought that would help in our next assignment of finding a suitable bug to attack; however, there are several mailing lists and I figure we'll be on a few of them before this is over.

Debian install took forever but was a rather straightforward install and FINALLY, I get back to my original project some 6 hours ago!  After following their directions for Debian install by the letter, I made it all the way to the build command and keep getting the error "Refusing to run as root." (its getting rather hard now not to spell out why I like Windows better than this!)  So my problem is...after hours of frustration and time lost, the only thing that I can show for my efforts is the fact that my box has 3 operating systems (one great one--Windows) one fixed and 2 virtual OS's.  Maybe tomorrow after catching up on the work I didn't get done today, I'll find some time to devote to this endevor again :(

No comments:

Post a Comment