Friday, January 28, 2011

Success!

TortoiseSVN ROCKS!  With less than 10 minutes of time spent downloading, installing and rebooting my box, I was already in business.  The only foul up I had, was that I originally linked the space I set up on my box to the URL we were given--instead of the ....cirdles.....playground/test.  This was easily corrected and I am now able to upload, checkout, make changes, revert to a previous version, commit my file, etc...  I toyed around a little bit and found out what "blame" did...cool!  Like I mentioned earlier, I learned how to revert to a previous version of my file, renamed it, tested using the "diff" function...all in all it was much smoother than NetBeans or SubCommander!

Next up was to start setting up my personal server.  What I thought would be the most effective use of my time was to test VisualSVN since others had success with it.  Again, I had no problems installing it; however, it was a little tricky to set up, but NOTHING like what I was dealing with on Wednesday/Thursday!!  I spent the better part of another hour just trying things I was a little hesitant of trying on the group side (like locking and branching) just to get an understanding of how it works.  I also (among other things) tested setting up permissions so that only I could edit something...interesting.  Just like on our "playground," I am able to do all the things to my repository (on my server) also...cool, I might have some uses for this later.

Overall my experience with TortoiseSVN and VisualSVN was great...of course it’s always great when it works right?  I only wish that I would have started on this path instead of wasting the time I spent on the other path!  Next step will be getting and building the source code for our project…sounds like a Saturday job!

Addendum: TortoiseSVN ROCKS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment