Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Its not subversion it was a downright disruption of my day!


The first part of my project was uneventful. Logging into our cirdles “playground” was straightforward and completed without any problems at all. The real problem was, “what do I do here?” I could view and edit, but had no way of uploading my own content to the repository. I had done some checking and discovered that Subversion was already installed on my box when I installed Ubuntu.

After some searching (and scratching what hair I have left) I was guided toward the realization that I needed a client to accomplish task at hand. I initially tried NetBeans and had no problems setting up the connection with our repository but was unsuccessful in getting it to work for me. Next I found Subcommander (which only needed to be installed though the Synaptic Package Manager) that is showing promise. I was actually able to sync my local box with the repository but when I tried to “commit” my own files, I wasn't able to see them in our “playground.”

I'm sure I am overlooking something and will try again tomorrow before asking for help. Netbeans will probably be what I will use, but it would be good to know a couple of ways to put subversion to work. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to the source code today...completely ran out of time and other work took priority...now I'll have to try to get it done over the weekend instead of getting ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment